...the staring game...

The last year in Canada, as fun and wild as it was, left me with little to no time for my self. Now this 2hr going and 2hr return travel time from work give me more than enough time to brood... My 'pensive' time is back..as you can see from the random rants in the blog.. :) The travel here is so conducive to thinking about nothing and analyzing everyone. India was fun too but here its better.. The big, wide bus windows let you view the city so much better.... There's no more fighting for window seat!! But better than the busses is the subway. Though pushing, fighting and dangling out of 'door-less' trains have a thrill and charm of their own, traveling in the TTC Subway staring at all kinds of peoples.. White, black, brown, dirty, crazy, slutty, elegant, gigantic, talkative... It so easy to fall into the game of 'Who Are They?, What's their life like?, What Do They Do?, What Are They?".. and the staring game.. Major pastime! You can't ever be bored.. And, as though that wasn't enough distraction, the TTC is soon going to be giving us something more to help the long journey seem shorter.. Coming soon to a darkened subway tunnel near you: a silent moving picture show! I love the TTC.. When you don't have a car and need to travel this is your bread and butter.. The TTC pass almost gives me the same 'privileged' feeling that the 1st Class Western Railway Pass. Ofcourse the 1st class pass was like a Carte Blanche.. Access to all areas coz I could go into almost any compartment- general or ladies. There's no such distinction on the TTC... Miss that feeling of 'Aha! You cant come in here!!' I've always wondered how the trains turn at the endpoints, like Kipling, to back. I always thought they actually took a 'turn' so that they could go back down the line again..! Until I found this neat site with all kinds of TTC maps. The TTC Subway Track Diagram cleared my funny idea.. And this Subway Track TYPE map, showing where the track is elevated, in a tunnel, on surface, etc. Got me TTC crazy.. !! Probably Varun will understand this new craze.. Though unlike his undying devotion to the Indian Railway.. My fixations last only a short while before I find something new to rave about. Transit Toronto Has all things TTC. Like Ride Guides from 1993 during the great depression!! To scheduled, maps, Streetcar Track Layouts and pictures and other interesting information about the TTC through the ages!

0 comments: