Make your own Skype Phone

I hate sitting in front of the computer and talking. I'm so distracted. I wished I had some kind of Skype Cellphone.. something mobile.. I tried Skype for Mobile decives on my Pocket PC but the processor and wi-fi speed on the pocket pc couldn't hold a voice call.. hmmm.. I read on the net about this guy who had hooked up his Siemens Gigaset Cordless phone to his computer for skype and I just had to try it! After 10 hours of searching through randa's and achal's pile of overflowing 'stuff' I finally found their old cordless phone... The phone is connected to the power obviously, but DO NOT connect the 'phone' cable, if you get an incoming call you could get a 110v shock!. Now I'm not electronics engineer and I have an electricity phobia but this was quite easy to do. It took me a while to convince myself that I wouldnt get electrocuted and get over the images in my head of rT's accident with 220v.. brrr.. But even with my very basic knowledge this was a snap!! The general idea is to keep the phone to your ear and touch a screwdriver here and there on the circuit board till you hear a click. Mark these spots and then test the spots with a mp3 player. Choose the loudest one for your speaker/line out plug. Then reverse, by blowing in the handsets microphone and touch a earphone plug to see where you can hear the blowing. This is your microphone/line in spot! Ill skip the details and get straight to the pix.. Read here and here if you want more info and generic how to's (each phone is different so you'll have to experiement like me) The Phone: VTech 2619 2.7Ghz Cordless Phone The Circuit Board before: The mic and speaker spots are labeled. The ground is at the bottom. I had connected a wire to ground the probes so thats the red wire at the bottom. Sound Injecting Device: The Mp3 player hooked up to some convertor wires I had lying around. I used this to test the spots (that I had found earlier with the screwdriver) by touching the tip of the plug to the spots on the board and listening on the cordless to hear the music play. Grounding The Plug: Make sure the plugs you use are grounded. You could fry your mp3 player!! The gound is the disc on the plug furtherest away from the tip. Connect a wire from here to the ground on the board. Soldering The Wires: I cut up a sound extension cable. And wrapped the ground wires together and connected them to a the ground. The red and white wires of each plug were twisted together (since the phone is mono anyways, you can join the L+R) and soldered to the spots I found. Thats It!! Skype Phone!! Cost: 0.00$$ BTW, you can use it with MSN, Yahoo any thing.. Its basically a wireless earpiece you have now.. Save $$ on a wireless headset and/or voip phone.. Dr. Zoidberg knows all!!! Whoop Whoop Whoop...

0 comments: