A little Info:Cutting the Key: To make a copy of your key you could take it to any key cutting place to get a copy. Or you could give the Mazda dealer either your VIN number or the Key number (that you find on that little plate on your key ring when u got the car). However, this key will be able to ONLY open doors UNTIL you program the transponder inside the key. Programing The Key: Inside the key (the grip part) there is a transponder that the car is programed to recognise. The car had a device that, on ignition, reads the transponder in the key to validate the key (So that no one can just borrow your keys and make a copy.) If a valid key is detected then the car will start. Else the car starts and dies. The Remote: The remote is the unlock/lock fob part of the key.
Mazda 3: Program a Flip KeyTaken from: TM3
Programming the keyItems needed:
- 2 pre-programmed transponder keys.
- 1 new transponder key
- Insert one of the pre-programmed transponder keys and turn the ignition to "on", leave on for at least one second (wait until the red key symbol in the instrument cluster extiinguishes), remove the key from the ignition.
- Within 5 seconds insert the second pre-programmed key and turn the ignition to "on" for at least one second but no more than 5 seconds (use the key symbol for this as well) then remove the second key.
- within 10 seconds insert the new key in the ignition and turn the ignition to "on", if you are successful the red key symbol will illuminate then extinguish after about a second.
Programming the RemoteHave all the remotes that you are going to be using, maximum of 3, with you when you do this programming as all of them have to be reprogrammed into memory.
- Open driver side door and leave open.
- Lock and Unlock the drivers door using the power door lock switch on the door
- Insert key into the ignition.
- Turn Key to ON position and return to Lock (off) position. Do this 3 times within 10 seconds. LEAVE key in the ignition in Lock (off) position.
- Close and open the drivers door 3 times. Leave door open after this step
- ECU should respond by locking and unlocking the doors once.
- Press any button on remote #1 twice. ECU responds by locking and unlocking the car doors.
- Additional remotes, repeat Step 7 for up to 3 remotes total.
- Remove the key from the ignition and the ECU will respond a final time with a series (about 4) of door locks and unlocks. You're done!